Pelvic adhesions are bands of scar tissue that form between pelvic organs and can cause them to stick together and lose their function. Learn more about this condition.
Adhesions are part of the natural process by which the body attempts to repair itself after trauma caused by surgery, infection, inflammatory processes, endometriosis, and other conditions. Due to the possible formation of pelvic adhesions, any abdominal surgery can put fertility at risk and should be carried out with the utmost care.
Some of the Gynecological surgeries that can lead to the formation of pelvic adhesions are:
• Caesarean sections • Ovarian cyst removal • Removal of uterine fibroids • Tubal ligation reversal • Surgical treatment of endometriosis • In addition to surgical procedures, other possible causes include: • Appendicitis • Infections in the abdomen and pelvis • Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (usually caused by sexually transmitted diseases such as chlamydia) • Endometriosis • Hydrosalpinx
How does it affect your reproductive health?
Pelvic adhesions can affect your ability to conceive and your reproductive health in different ways:
• The ovaries can become attached to other structures, which impairs their ability to release eggs and hinders fertilization.
• Cause damage or blockage of the fallopian tubes and make it impossible for the egg to pass into the uterus, and prevent sperm from meeting and fertilizing it.
• In or around the fallopian tubes, they make it impossible for the fertilised egg to move into the uterus, increasing the risk of ectopic pregnancy.
• They can cause pain during or after sexual intercourse.
Can I have a baby if I have adhesions?
In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) is the best option for patients with pelvic adhesions who wish to have a baby, because it makes it possible to aspirate the eggs directly from the ovaries, fertilize them in a laboratory and place the most implantable embryos in the woman's uterus.
Our Multicycle Programs are the best option to fulfill your dream with up to 4 In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) attempts to give you the maximum peace of mind and security that you will have your baby at home.